Saturday, June 18, 2011

DEADBEAT





You met for the first time in the checkout line
Shared your first Thanksgiving when Kelvin was five
All day in the window on December 25th
waited so patiently to receive his first wish

Lovable little boy, didn’t wish for a new toy
Wished for quality time, just Dad and his boy
He sat for hours looking out of the front window
Watching the cars, waiting for Mr. No Show

Five years late, like everything is okay
No, I won’t let you treat my son this way
He is not an old book gathering dust on a shelf
You’re missing out, while thinking only of yourself

A father’s love is supposed to be sacred
Your absence has filled his heart with hatred
I replace that hatred with a Mother’s love
My son is a blessing from God above

I don’t hate you, but I hate what you’ve done
But we are just fine, me and my son
It’s too bad! You have a son you don’t even know
He went to the Championship in Taekwondo

Now back again, ten years after
Awkward silence replace joy and laughter
No real explanation for what you’ve done
Still happy to be seen by my son

Yes! I still call him my son only
Where were you when he was lonely?
Where were you?
When for YOU he asked?
How do you make up for his life that has passed?

Well when he succeeds, don’t remember his name!
Remember, you were just a “DEADBEAT” that never came!




Poem- Excerpt From Book
VICTIM! VICTORIOUS!
By Antoinette Denise Johnson

Copyright 2009
Revised 2011
All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment